Monday, November 3, 2008

Under Attack

I know when you read that heading you're thinking, "Oh no! Dave is under attack". Calm down Mom...I'm not talking about me. I'm referring to the state of marriages in our church and in our nation. I preached a sermon on marriage a few weeks ago and at the end of the message, I prayed and asked anyone who had a marriage in crisis to raise their hand. I was astounded when hands flew into the air all over the auditorium. Since then, I've had several crisis marriage counseling sessions and I've been humbled by the sobering reality of overall marital health in our own church.

I strongly believe that strong marriages are the foundation for strong churches which are the foundation for strong societies and if the Enemy can poison a marriage, he can devastate so many lives as a result. My prayer is that God would guard our hearts and our marriages and cause us to not only look after our own marriage, but to partner in prayer with each other and defend and sanctity of marriage while reaching out to those suffering through the loneliness and desperation of a marriage in crisis. Our marriages are Always worth fighting for!

1 comment:

Mark D. Rucker said...

Very well said David. You know it really takes three things to bring a marriage back from the brink:
(1) a realization that your spouse is not perfect, (2) that there is only One person who can truly meet all of your needs, and (2) humility (or as some may say umility)