Thursday, May 15, 2008

Closed Doors

Yesterday morning, Cooper (my 3-year-old), got a glimpse inside the refrigerator and decided that there was something in there that he just had to have. He grabbed the handle and pulled with all his might and I put my hand on the door and held it shut trying to reason with him that I would get him breakfast, but if I opened the door for him, all he would do is make a huge mess. My "wisdom" was wasted on him as he continued to pull and scream and squirm. He wanted the door opened right then and he didn't care about the consequences. He thought he knew better than me what he needed.

I shook my head and smiled at how immature and childish he was acting, but then God reminded me that I do the exact same door-yanking tantrum all the time. I get a glimpse of something I think I want and then I try to pry the door open pleading with God all the while while He gently holds the door shut knowing that I would just make a mess of things if He let me open it. Somedays I think that God uses my kids to teach me more than I teach them! Thank you Lord for reminding me what a loving Father you are and what a clueless child I can often be.

3 comments:

Ben Willis said...

I wish the Lord would hold the refrigerator door shut more often for me

Old Hampshire said...

Hey Dave, thanks for letting me into "Dave's World".

Lela Kay said...

How true it is that God seems to be even more vocal now that my kiddos walk around, showing me how God must feel about my own unwillingness to listen. Thanks for sharing your heart so vividly and reminding us all we could use some extra lessons on truly leaning solely on God!