Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The Cost of Freedom



I have a friend named Adam Bellinger who just shipped off to Iraq last week. He's leaving behind a beautfiul little girl named Natalie who is Cooper's age. I was having lunch with both of them just days before he was shipping out and I was so humbled by the sacrafice he was preparing to make to ensure Freedom for little Natalie and for the rest of us as well. Living in a military town for the first time in my life, I feel like I'm on the set of the show "Heroes", because modern-day, real-life heroes who are prepared to give their lives to protect our way of life surround me. Thanks to you all!

This picture is of a young man named Christian Golzinski who is accepting the flag at his father's funeral. His father (Staff Sergeant Golzinski) had volunteered for a second tour of duty and was killed only two weeks before he was to come home. In a recent letter to his family he wrote, "sometimes we have to fight, and even die, so that our families won't have to". This picture moved me so deeply as I studied the flurry of mixed emotions on this young man's face when he was handed the flag and the load of carrying on his father's legacy here on earth.

We as Christ-followers are handed a very similar responsibility to that of young "Christian". Jesus died so that we could live in freedom, and as He empowers us through His Spirit, we are to carry out that legacy of freedom and grace here on earth. We all feel unworthy and incapable to do this, but He gives us the grace and strength to do it one day at a time.

2 comments:

Jeff Asselin said...

Wow! That photo really captures the emotion.

Perrie Lynn said...

This hit home. In 1954, my brothers and I saw my Mother accept the flag for my Father, an Air Force Pilot. My heart melts for all of the children with a parent involved in the security of our Nation.