Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Fun Facts

Blog postings might be insightful, but they rarely ever teach me anything new. I have a strange obsession for trivial facts and I'm dedicating this post to sharing a few of them with you. I hope you learn something new!

1. The 4th largest city by population in the USA is Houston, TX (behind New York, LA & Chicago).
2. The human nose and ears never stop growing until death (bad news if you already think your nose and ears are too big).
3. President Bill Clinton's last name at birth was "Blythe" (he took the name "Clinton" from his step-father when he was in elementary school).
4. A marathon is exactly 26.2 miles long (or approximately 20 miles longer than I can currently run).
5. The continent of Australia has fewer residents than the state of California.
6. Civil War Fact: The Union's President (Abe Lincoln) and the Confederacy's President (Jefferson Davis) were born less than one year and one hundred miles apart in the same state (Kentucky...which is also God's favorite state).
7. The musical act that has performed most often on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno is...Country Music artist Dwight Yoakam (I know...I was surprised too).
8. A child is approximately 100 times more likely to drown at a neighbor's pool than to be accidently shot and killed by a neighbor's gun (and you thought guns were dangerous!)
9. There is only one black female billionaire in the entire world and her name is...Oprah.
10. Jesus loves you (this isn't trivial, but it is True, so I thought I would share it).

If you can disprove any of these facts or if you would like to add fun facts of your own, post them under "comments" below. Thanks!

4 comments:

Joshua McFarland said...

I love random trivia so here is my contribution:

Every Excel spreadsheet has exactly 256 rows and 65,536 columns. That is a grand total of 16,777,216 cells. I know, Wow, it's amazing!

Jennifer Burgett said...

4. A marathon is actually 26 miles and 385 yards.

At the 1908 Summer Olympics in London, the Princess of Wales wanted her children to watch the start of the race, so it was moved back, increasing the race from 25 miles to 26. Additionally, the queen insisted on having the best view of the finish, so the course was extended 385 yards to accomodate her request. Eventually, 26 miles 385 yards became the race’s official distance. So techincally it it 26.218750 miles - but really who is counting. . .

6. And I live within 100 miles of both places! I do agree that Kentucky is God's favorite state. . . why would you live anywhere else?

So . . . there you go. (I think I have too much time on my hands!)

Unknown said...

Man, you should team up with that kid from Jerry Maguire.

Did you know that while all these professional sports stars and their doctors are getting busted for illegal steroids, the everyday joe shmoe can go and buy the exact same thing at the local horse supply store for "their horse"

D'Art Strickland said...

One gallon of used motor oil can contaminate 1 million gallons of fresh water.