Thursday, June 19, 2008

Party Time!


I attended a birthday party today that was unlike any that I have ever attended. It was held at a nearby nursing home simply called "The Place" that's located less than a mile from our church. The party was held in honor of all the residents with a June birthday, but ironically, both residents with a June birthday were out of the home in a hospital receiving treatment. We partied anyway. If you've never seen a 90-year-old do a kegstand, you haven't lived! (That was a joke...she was actually only 80).


Truly, this experience was very eye-opening for me. I've been to this home several times now, and each time, I walk away with a feeling of hopeful humility. I'm astounded by the faith and perseverance of many of the residents who have been confined to beds or wheelchairs for many years. I'm heartbroken for the young residents whose vibrance has been stripped away by a permanent health crisis. I am ashamed of all the petty things that I find myself complaining about when I see someone whose whole month is made by a tiny serving of ice cream or a brief visit from a stranger. Jesus definitely taught me a lot today.

No comments: