Tuesday, March 18, 2008

I got ripped off...but I'm not that mad.

Today was a really tough day. Ashley and I have been trying to reorganize our finances so that we can get completely out of debt which has caused some major changes. One of these changes was to sell my gas-guzzling old Ford Explorer and buy something more fuel-efficient. Last week, I did just that. I bought a 95 Toyata Corolla from a guy named Bob (his real name is Scott, but to protect his anonymity, we'll call him "Bob"). Bob and his wife seemed like nice folks and I'm a big fan of Toyotas ever since I worked two summers at the Toyota plant in Kentucky.

This seemed like a good deal until...the car exploded on me before I could even get it home. Literally, the engine was shooting out oil and smoke like a volcano. After a week of mechanics and carpooling, the prognosis finally came in and it was completely bleak. I had a lemon. I got in touch with Scott to tell him and at first he seemed very receptive to refunding my money (which we desperately need to purchase another vehicle). I found out just a few hours ago that he won't be refunding my money and I'm stuck with this car that I'm going to try to sell to a junk yard.

I've been through the whole range of emotions with this deal and I've had some extensive heart-to-heart conversations with God about this. My first response was sadness followed by rage followed by disappointment followed by confusion followed by that sick feeling in your stomach you get after you've been kicked in the testicles. After all of that, I just simply asked God what He was doing in all of this, and He gave me a good reply.

First of all, He reminded me that He is my provider and that I don't need to freak out over a couple thousand dollars (even if I don't know how in the world I'm going to ever buy another car). He also reminded me that He is in control even thought we live in a fallen, sin-stained world where all of us have a very selfish nature made pure only through Him. Finally, He reminded me how much He loves Scott and his wife and his precious little girl and how much He desires to have a relationship with them that will bring purpose to their lives and give them life for all eternity. My prayer in this is that through our collective prayers, God will draw this family to Himself. If that happens, then I would gladly pay $2000 many times over (even though I don't have it to pay) to see souls come to Christ. In the end, that's all that will matter.

6 comments:

Wes said...

I know that you heard from God on that one, because that's the last thing that would have come to my mind. Bob would probably meet Jesus a little sooner in my solution, but I haven't prayed as much about it, haha.

Amanda said...

As soon as I read your blog I called Trey to see what we could do to help you guys out.
Trey said he would be willing to look at the car to see what he things (he's been in the automotive business for 15 yrs and knows a lot). Or, we are good friends with the GM at Taylor Toyota (and he also goes to Stevens Creek) and maybe get him to take a look at it for you.

OR, you can let Trey call "Bob" for you and get rude. He has mean bones in his body when it comes to dealing with stuff like this. I'm sure he could get you your money back.

Another thing that I would be glad to do is take you home every day when you get off work. I live right by church so I do not mind at all.

Call us---we'd love to help out in any way we can.

Dave said...

Thanks everybody for your supportive words and emails. I've been offered everything from car loans to putting out a mafia-style hit on "Bob". I think somebody's been watching too many reruns of the Sopranos! I truly appreciate all of your encouraging words. You guys rock. Please be praying for "bob" and his family.

Unknown said...

Dave..... If I could I would write you check, I mean I kinda owe it to you your my hero.......

I will be praying for you.....

chr

D'Art Strickland said...

Dave, crazy thing, i just received a check in the mail from "bob." He said he wanted to do his part in what God is doing in Boston. Thanks!

Perrie Lynn said...

Dave,

You know you can trust me. What is "Bob" real name and address?