Wednesday, April 23, 2008

A Message to my Students

I just wrapped up teaching 2 public speaking courses at USC Aiken and I've said goodbye to a very talented group of students who are moving on to the next chapter (or semester) in their lives. I taught them a great deal about Public Speaking, but because it is a secular institution, I was very limited as to what I could teach them about life and faith. Now that you (my students) are no longer in my classroom, I have the freedom to share one final lesson straight from the heart. Here are a few nuggets of "wisdom" to help you on your journey...

*Your life will be meaningless without Jesus Christ in the center of it.
*Don't make excuses.
*Don't blame life's circumstances for your failures. Just learn from your failures and build a foundation for success upon them.
*Never focus on your "limitations". They are only as real as you believe they are.
*Be nice to your friends. Be nicer to your enemies. Be nicest to your in-laws.
*When you're married and arguing with your spouse, sometimes you will have to decide between being "right" and being happy. This will make much more sense once you're married.
*Don't be in such a rush that you miss out on the beauty and opportunity of every moment.
*Hold doors open for old people. You'll be old someday (if you're lucky).
*Don't be an angry driver. You can cover more ground in your car in one day than pioneers covered in a lifetime, so you're already moving plenty fast enough without cutting people off in traffic.
*Don't be a crybaby. The world has too many already. Be something useful instead.
*Quit trying to get by on minimal effort and resolve to turn the world upside down by giving your best to something of significance.
*Use things and love people. Never use people and love things.
*Money is the greatest of servants but the poorest of masters. Don't become a slave to it.
*Whatever you are...be a good one.
*Don't expect something for nothing.
*Be the kind of person who makes things happen instead of waiting around for something to happen.
*Laugh everyday-especially when you don't feel like it.
*Be the kind of person you wanted to become when you were a kid.
*Drink more water. Eat more vegetables. Don't forget to splurge on ice cream sometimes or you'll go crazy.
*Remember that it only takes one moment to do something you will regret forever.
*Don't watch Oprah or Dr. Phil too often or you will find yourself writing cheesy, cliched, self-help blogs like I'm doing right now.
*Sing loud even if you're way off key. Imagine how quiet the forests would be if no birds sang except for the best.
*Don't die with any unused potential left. Exhaust every ounce of energy, ability and passion inside of you (most people never come close and never realize what they could have been).
*Never give up.

I wish you all the best and I pray that wherever you go, you go with God.

4 comments:

Dr B said...

Professor Willis-
Just read your awesome blog! I had to give a presentation in Immunology this morning and I didn't even realize until I was finished that I was not apprehensive or scared, I paced myself and bottom line- I did great! I have been putting off a Communications class since I was a freshman, and the only reason I took your class was because I needed it and it was the only one that fit into my schedule, but man, I am glad I did! You made our class so relaxed, you didn't grade us too harshly, and the class was just fun, which made it a lot easier to make speeches. Plus I have to admit, it was easier presenting in front of someone closer to my age (I'm 25 by the way). I have recommended you to anyone that needs a communications course, because I thoroughly enjoyed your class. Who would have thought Public Speaking would be my favorite class! Well, I hope you like USCA. I think you are a great professor and it was a pleasure being in your class. Thanks for the exam exempt too. Made my day yesterday!

Lauren Beasley

kt06moler said...

Professor Willis,
You are a great professor! I am happy that I took Public Speaking and had you as my professor. I just read " A Message to my Students" and that is very sweet. I like the quotes. I will use them in life. Stephanie and I want to come to one of your services so don't be suprised if you see us! haha.
Your Student, Katie Moler

Wes said...

I am not one of your students, but I love this blog perhaps because it is so cliche. Don't die with any unused potential left. A wise man once told me "We've only scratched the surface." You challenge me to dig a little deeper.

Unknown said...

Professor Dave,
I have been saying this in my head alot lately. Talk less, listen more, speak the truth,..... It is my mantra....


You da man