Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Too much caffeine


Good morning friends. Actually...I'm not sure if it's morning or afternoon, because my internal clock has been dismantled by a two-day roadtrip with screaming toddlers, no sleep and way too much coffee. I performed a wedding on Sunday afternoon in the beautiful, North Georgia Mountains (Congrats Greg and Patti) and then our family connected with the Rivers (who may be the coolest family on Earth) and our combined gaggle of toddlers wrecked havoc on the quiet towns and cabins on North Georgia. Needless to say, this was a great adventure.


The trip was beautiful and we had a blast, but our boys just didn't want to sleep for some reason, so we left at midnight last night after two consecutive nights with little or no sleep and we hit the road for Kentucky. I was so tired and turned around in the dark mountains that I took a wrong turn which turned into an hourlong detour which led to a toddler-style tantrum of me hitting the steering wheel and saying at least one word that a pastor shouldn't say. I was also delirious and afraid that a crazy-eyed hitchhiker or serial killer was going to jump out of the dark side of the road and drag us into the woods at any moment. I was basically a big baby the whole way back.


Finally, with the help of large quantities of coffee and the support of my amazing, beautiful, encouraging wife (who ended up driving most the way after I wimped out) we finally made it to Kentucky (the Promise Land) this morning. I don't think I've ever been this tired, but the coffee still has me in some sort of weird, artifical awakeness so I thought I would take advantage of my last moments of lucid thought before I crashed for the next 12 hours by logging these details for your enjoyment.

3 comments:

Lela Kay said...

Road trips with toddlers. . . the best thing ever, right? Glad you all are home for a bit. Praying for a fun time here and a safe trip back!

D'Art Strickland said...

"Let's pick him up"

"He's got an ax"

"He's got Bud Light"


"Let's pick him up"

"He's got a chainsaw"

Anonymous said...

I could have told you that wouldn't have been good. That's a lot of driving for 2 under 2.

Glad you all got in safe.